Floyd Mayweather Signs On To Fight Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez In September

Floyd Mayweather

It's official! Floyd Mayweather's next fight is set... against junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.
The undefeated boxing star agreed to a deal Wednesday night (May 29) to fight Alvarez on September 14th in a pay-per-view bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, reports ESPN.com.
"I chose my opponent for September 14th and it's Canelo Alvarez," Mayweather tweeted (@FloydMayweather). "I'm giving the fans what they want."
Mayweather currently holds a world title at welterweight (147 pounds), but also a junior middleweight title (154), which he won by defeating Miguel Cotto in May 2012. After that fight, Mayweather returned to welterweight and defended the title against Guerrero in a lopsided unanimous decision win earlier this month.
But he is moving back up in weight to face Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KOs) with their belts on the line, although the fight will be contested at a catchweight of 152 pounds.
Right now, it's one of the best match-ups in boxing. Mayweather and Pacquaio have failed to come to terms for a possible superfight for years. And while Alvarez isn't the star that Pac-Man is, it's a fight fans have been looking for ... and Mayweather finally steps up to make fans happy.
"It's a done deal and Floyd is very excited to give the fans what they want," Leonard Ellerbe, chief executive of Mayweather Promotions, told ESPN.com. "This is the fight they wanted and this is what they are getting. It's the biggest fight in all of boxing. It's the biggest fight Floyd can possibly make."
Alvarez is already promising to be the first loss on Mayweather's perfect 44-0 record.
"I'm very excited. This is the fight I have wanted for a while," Alvarez told ESPN.com. "It's been talked about for a while now, and now that it's signed, sealed and delivered, I am very happy.
"I will be the first to beat Floyd."

No comments: